STEEL VS ALUMINUM WINDOWS AND DOORS
Our Galvanized Steel material at Brombal is made from a specific alloy, the FeP02 with a GZ200 hot zinc coating. This protects the profile from oxidation from both inside and outside of the face. It is finished through a skin-passing process, which allows a better paint grip. Steel is available in a variety of colors in polished, semi- polished, or sable finishing.
Steel has many advantages over the weaker material aluminum. Here are 5 benefits that will help you understand your options with steel windows and doors:
1. Steel is a better choice than aluminum for thermally-broken fenestration… why? Steel insulates 5x better than aluminum. Also, steel unit sizes can be much larger than aluminum units. This allows for narrower frame dimensions while still offering large expanses of glazing. By reducing the ratio of frame sightlines to glass, the overall unit thermal performance is increased.
2. Structurally, steel is 3x stronger than aluminum. This translates into the ability to fabricate the ever growing demand for larger sized window and door frames, while maintaining the best structural integrity in the fenestration industry.
3. Brombal steel profiles are “green.” They are made from 100% recycled steel… oh and if you want them in GREEN we have that covered as well. Powder coating color options are nearly infinite. Not only does the high efficiency thermal break save you energy , but Brombal also helps to save the planet with our “green” manufacturing processes.
4. Have you heard of the term “shelf life?” In construction, we use the term “sustainability.” When you consider the overall costs of a product, the “sustainability” of that product must enter the equation and steel windows and doors have durability worth nothing. If cared for properly, they can outlive the structure they are placed in. Studies show that steel windows can easily last and continue to function for much longer than aluminum, wood, or vinyl products; even as much as 3 – 4 times longer.
5. It’s hard to put a price tag on the aesthetic value of steel windows. Let’s just say that steel windows have an enduring quality that the most discernible architects, builders, and homeowners recognize. It starts with the simple crisp lines of the frame – a beauty of “less is more.” Windows are made to look through not to look at. They frame the landscape and allow light to enter the structure. Steel provides this advantage and more. Although the frames sizes are narrow, steel is a strong and bold material that exudes confidence and style. It has a way of standing out in architecture, symbolizing strength and durability.
Brombal also offers Stainless Steel with extreme durability with minimal maintenance, for ocean front or industrial applications. Other materials include Cor-Ten Steel and Brass. Contact us for thermally broken metal windows and doors.
Share this article